Freelance or Part-Time Copywriter
Cohere is an award winning creative agency that uses design to make a conscious impact. We specialize in branding hotels, restaurants, and placemaking projects and pledge our skills to the work that bring lasting benefits to society. Our URL is .city because – our projects in hospitality, real estate development and restaurant businesses make our cities and neighborhood fabric unique, and we aim to work with mostly independent, small brands that add value to the next chapter of entrepreneurship in the cities we serve. Philadelphia, NYC and Baltimore are our primary markets, though we work on projects throughout the United States. Through our unique work, Cohere offers employees the opportunity to have impact on socially relevant and environmentally conscious companies. To us, Design is the art of helping a person and project reach their full potential. This is our “tool” in which we help change the world for the better.
We grew in 2022 and are expecting growth in 2023, therefore we are seeking valuable, motivated team members to join our team to help us achieve our long term goals. This is a fun and exciting time to grow a purposeful agency, and we want partners who can make that ride even more enjoyable!
Cohere is seeking a Freelance Copywriter to professionalize our internal process for branding and marketing where copy is involved. As a Freelance Copywriter, you will be responsible for defining and executing messaging direction, copy for a brand, copy for campaigns and other deliverables on a project by project basis. You will follow the brief and strategic plan of our projects with a lead team member, and set goals and deliverables along the way that are specific to your role as a freelancer.
This job is a hybrid of remote and in-person on an as needed basis in Philadelphia. We expect in-person commitments to be minimal, and likely only 1x per project. We are an experienced hybrid-remote culture and ensure our team feels connected even in a digital environment.
As a Freelance Copywriter, you will be responsible for ensuring consistent and cohesive storytelling across all channels, working closely with creative team members to develop messaging across all campaign channels: email, website, events, social media, digital marketing/advertising and industry partnerships.
This person should have 3-5 years experience in content marketing, copywriting, social media, digital marketing, executing effective campaigns and creative strategies for brands in growth mode. The ideal candidate possesses the skills of someone organized, able to collaborate at a high level to clarify goals and objectives, manage a budget, be administratively efficient, detail oriented, fast learner and interested in working with a talented team to accomplish lead generation marketing on multiple platforms. They are energized by the idea of creating a flywheel of multiple touchpoints for an engaged community online, and pay close attention to other brands for inspiration. They are able to approach deadlines and goals with a solution focused approach.
Depending on experience and specific client scope of work, $2,000+ per project (typically a brand, rebrand, or brand campaign)
- Reading briefs, strategies, research and client objectives information to help create goals and direction for the copy.
- Contributing to copy direction documents, strategic plans and messaging direction.
- Creating and editing original copy that is accurate, well-researched, and meets client/company needs and deadlines.
- Speaking with internal and external parties to learn about their content needs.
- Coming up with brand personas, mission statements, vision statements, brand pillars, messaging pillars and example copy.
- Assisting in other aspects of the creative or research processes to create cohesive, accurate content.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, or related field OR the equivalent of professional experience of 2 years+
- Demonstrated writing and editing skills at the highest level of ownership.
- Examples of high quality content creation for small or mid-level brands, ideally also a few larger brands.
- Experience writing copy for a specific industry, such as healthcare, marketing, technology, or hospitality may be beneficial or required.
- Strong communication, research, and investigation skills.
- Creativity, resourcefulness, flexibility, and motivation.
- Able to approach deadlines and goals with a solution focused approach.